The Trinity is the most famous icon painting by Andrei Rublev. Little is known about the history of its creation:
- as an example of compliance with church canons, the icon “Trinity” by Rublev is mentioned in the resolution of the Stoglav Cathedral of 1551;
- the text of the Legend of the Holy Icon Painters, dated from the 17th to the beginning of the 18th century, contains information that Nikon of Radonezh turned to Rublev with a request to write an icon for his spiritual mentor, St. Sergius.
The date of the Trinity also remains open:
- some researchers consider the year of creation of the image to be 1412 and believe that it was intended for the iconostasis of the wooden Trinity Church of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. The decision to build the church was made by Abbot Nikon after the old building burned down during the invasion of Khan Edigey in 1411;
- according to other sources, the icon was painted in 1425-1427. for placement in the stone Trinity Cathedral, the construction of which began in 1422.
In the 16th century. By order of Ivan the Terrible, the icon was covered with a heavy golden garment (frame). At that time, the «Trinity» enjoyed a special veneration and was located in the «local» row of the iconostasis of the Trinity Cathedral. Other representatives of the tsarist power also treated this image with piety: during the reign of Boris Godunov, and then Mikhail Fedorovich, the gold setting on the icon was renewed.
The robe hid the Trinity from the eyes of believers and art connoisseurs until 1904. During the 20th century, the image was restored several times. Since 1929, the icon has been on display at the Tretyakov Gallery.
The celebrated author of The Trinity died in 1430; in 1988 he was canonized.